10.19.2008

Things I Love: In Bruges


It's been a while since I saw a good movie. A good movie being one without parts where I rolled my eyes, characters that I actively disliked or disbelieved, or multiple points where I looked at my watch to see if it was over yet. So it was quite a relief to see In Bruges (2008). At turns funny, sad, pithy, romantic and violent, In Bruges is the story of two hit men in the Belgian, medieval city of Bruges, unsure what they are doing there. Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson (who I had never heard of before but found riveting) play the hit men on vacation and Ralph Fiennes is their boss back home. The story is quick and unpredictable and the film is buoyed by a cast of supporting characters - including the city of Bruges itself and endless glasses of cold Belgian beer.

Disclaimer: one of my most trusted movie reviewers hated In Bruges, so I guess great minds can disagree. He claims I was swayed by my female response to Collin Farrell, but I don't have a particular penchant for Farrell - most of the movie I was actually a little distracted by his caterpillar-like eyebrows. So who knows.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i, too, hated this movie. i thought i was getting a fast-moving over the top british gangster movie, and instead i got a slow-moving mess. the violence is all done in such a way that left me awkwardly unsure as to whether it was supposed to be funny or not. the random bits of racism and anti-gay jokes left me scratching my head, too. just sayin.

Anonymous said...

Check out Brendan Gleeson in The General.