10.29.2010

There is a crack in everything / That's how the light gets in.

Judges Weigh Fairnes of Juvenile Life Without Parole: "Judges are grappling with whether it is ever proper to sentence a juvenile to life in prison without parole in light of a Supreme Court decision that such a punishment for non-murderers is cruel and unusual."

Image: source.

Some of what I'm listening to: new Lupe Fiasco, Weezer's cover of Toni Braxton's "Unbreak My Heart" (I love me a cover, especially a cross-genre cover), Josh Ritter & Dawn Landes "500 Miles," the incomparable Sean Hayes "Diamond In The Sun," Bon Iver "Skinny Love," and, of course, annual fall/winter favorites Chet Baker and Billie Holiday.

I saw The Social Network last week and liked it more than I expected - well-paced, funny at points, some well-shot scenes, some emotional depth. Recommended. Tonight I'm going to see Easy A, which I know next to nothing about. This weekend I'm looking forward to running a 5K (hoping I'll see a lot of improvement from the one I ran a month ago), and also heading out to shoot skeet. Hopefully this week-long rain storm will end.

Also, I'm going back to church this weekend. However, unlike originally planned I'm not going to a new place of worship, I'm going back to the place I went last week. Not because it blew me away and was a perfect spiritual fit, but because there was something about it that felt right and I want to give myself another hour in that space. Originally, I was thinking I would sort of write about each place of worship I went, but as I was sitting at church last Sunday I realized that thinking about what I would say/write about it was taking me out of the moment, and it felt weird to think about "reviewing" a church as if it was a restaurant instead of (someone's) spiritual place. I guess this means no book deal for me about my quirky 29 year old lawyers quest for spirituality. Oh well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I write about faith for a living, and let me tell you what a rare gift it is to respect or cherish a place of worship for what it is, even if it is somewhat different or not yet right or our own. It's so easy to label ourselves as "outsiders" because of our own discomfort in a place. It's easier to sit back and review than be really, vulnerably, and sometimes uncomfortably, present. So, so refreshing. Thanks.

- Kelly

Shorty said...

Thanks for commenting, Kelly - I agree that it takes effort to be present, especially in an unusual environment....