10.21.2010

This is an undertaking I have thought of for many years, but have never actually engaged with. For many reasons, right now feels like the right time. The idea: visit a different place of worship in my community each week. The motivation: to learn more about my own spirituality and also to learn more about the community I live in.

My first stop, this weekend, will be Ashland First Congregational United Church of Christ - I chose it because I know where it is (never underestimate the power of familiarity, especially when you have some social anxiety), their stated commitment to service, justice, and support of LGBT issues, and also I liked that they said the take the Bible "seriously but not literally." After reading this article and finding out their minister is a lesbian, I'm looking forward to my visit even more.

2 comments:

Cherri Porter said...

What a great idea! I think you're either going to learn a lot or get bored very quickly. I'm sure I'd fall into the latter camp. ;-)

Shorty said...

Cherri, we will see! :) I went to Catholic school for 8 years so my ability to withstand lengthy services is well-honed....