10.23.2008

Me v. Technology = Not A Fair Fight

Seriously worrisome. CNN.com: U.S. student arrested in Tehran while working on thesis project. See also.

SO FREAKIN' EXCITED! 30 Rock Season Premiere!

Oh wait, can't watch it, my computer died! Yes, after 2 years of loyal duty and 8-10 hour work days, my ThinkPad T60 bit the dust. Should I go Apple? Consensus says yes. Should I get the cheapest Apple possible or aim a bit higher? You tell me. No, seriously, email and tell me. I hate buying technology.


Last night I went with my friend Letitia to the Boston Ballet's production of Cinderella. Other than the Christmas showing of The Nutcracker and one other performance, I don't have much ballet experience. That's the lead in for me to say that i wasn't thrilled with the performance. The first act was very acting-heavy (as opposed to dancing-heavy) and felt more like watching an hour of pantomime than ballet. The second act was better, with some gorgeous group dancing in the ball scene. The most bizarre, over all, was the cadre of men with pumpkins as heads. It was unclear to me (and, it seemed, most people around me) whether they were supposed to be funny, but they were certainly....odd. I really liked that the show had a 1920's feel and styling, but while some of the costumes were beautiful, some seemed quickly done. At the ball for example, Cinderella is supposed to be stunning but instead was in some bland light pink creation with a lazy handkerchief (?) hem. Also, not to nitpick, but of the four men who were the Prince's sidekicks, one was woefully out of sync with the others. Finally, and this isn't really the Ballet's fault, but a woman next to me was taking photos the whole time - how is that appropriate for a darkened performance? Overall, it was great to see the Wang Theatre, and I do love dance performances, but something about last night's performance of Cinderella didn't really work for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Thursday (10/23/08) WSJ, at D1, carried a review of the new MacBook - sounds like what you need.