11.10.2008

Rocket man

To the left: by artist Jonathan Horowitz.

The United States' first openly transgender mayor....in Oregon!  Yay, Oregon!  I don't know much about Mayor Rasmussen or his policies (he continues to identify as male, hence my use of "he") but I'm excited that the town elected him into office and hopeful about what this means.


Curvy Girl Daisy Lowe Lands Marc by Marc Jacobs Campaign.  This headline made me pretty excited since I love Marc Jacobs and, like most people I know, are horrified by what passes as a healthy model these days....however, when I actually clicked on the photos and saw what "curvy" looks like in this context any excitement I had was completely deflated.  This model is probably, seriously, 10 pounds more than any other stick-skin model.  Big deal.  Fashion is so unimaginative sometimes.


The post-election coverage celebrating our country's alleged triumph over racism is absurd.  Of course I'm happy that Obama was elected and hopeful about what it means, but since he became President Elect I have heard some incredible racism.  The morning after the election I was getting coffee at Dunkin Donuts and it was completely silent as the Greek Orthodox cashiers rang me up and a black man next to me placed his order.  Out of nowhere he looked up and said "Obama?" with a smile on his face.  All the women behind the counter, and I, looked up and all said "Obama!"  It was like something out of an ad, but felt so wonderful.  And then I sat down to eat and over the radio some guys were talking about the election.  They played a clip of Whoopie Goldberg speaking movingly, or so I thought, about finally being able to "put [her] suitcase down" and be an American.  The radio idiots thought this was hilarious and made repeated comments about her acting like she "just got her chains off yesterday."  It was horrifying.  And this on a mainstream morning show.  In a Democratic state.  This country is just barely beginning to address our history, and present, of racism.  

No comments: