12.04.2008

Things I Love: Miami

After two weeks here, I think I can finally say I am starting to love Miami.  I know it's still the honeymoon period, but I HAVE been visiting sporadically for the last few years, so it's not totally out of the blue...Why?  Well, I guess it's a combination of things - could be the good food, the amazing weather, the multicultural/global presence, and especially the fact that there is SO much going on.  It's like a combination of the last two places I've lived in that it's a major city (Boston) but also people are outside and social (Old San Juan).  Unfortunately I left my digital camera in Boston and so I'm stranded down here with just my cell!















[Art Basel, South Beach, Miami, 2008]  Last night, thanks to the lovely Roxy, I went to a few Art Basel events - the people watching (one of my all time favorite activities) was incredible. Maybe the best people watching ever, seriously.  Models with old men, amazingly posh art scene people that looked like caricatures of themselves, wanna be rock stars, overly Botoxed socialites....it was great.  Today is the start of the actual festival so I think this weekend will be packed - but entertaining - on Miami Beach.















[Miami Art Museum Book Fair, Downtown Miami, 2008]  Today after work we went over to the Miami Art Museum (only a few blocks away from our offices) where they were having a huge book fair.  Because it's Miami (and Art Basel weekend) of course they had to combine the book fair with a bar, live music, and this amazing, huge Jeff Koons rabbit!   It's just there for Art Basel and apparently tomorrow they are doing a light installation on the side of my office building!

Don't get me wrong, there are things about Miami that drive me crazy (the conservative political climate, the car culture, the urban sprawl....) but for now, I'm just gonna enjoy the honeymoon.

No comments: