1.15.2009

Am I Less Of A Lady If I Don't Wear Pantyhose?*


As most of you know, I'm pretty low maintenance (well, at least appearance wise.  Emotionally, I'm pretty high maintenance...but anyways).  However, the last year or two has seen me start to pay more attention to appearance and upkeep and the wild world of PRODUCT.  I think some of that comes from entering a more professional working world, and realizing that while I think letting my hair grow and grow for years without ever seeing a brush looks "rock and roll," it doesn't translate quite the same way when you are asking people to take you seriously.  And pay you.  I don't think I'll ever be a big makeup devotee (it still makes me feel like I'm in drag when I have it on), but I have become a fan of things that keep the basics - hair and skin - in good shape so that makeup isn't really needed.  Towards that end (and after this first year of experimentation), here are my favorites.  I've split them up by high-end (Sephora) and low-end (the drug store).  Enjoy!





The Mecca of all things good-smelling and magic-working, Sephora:
  • Fekkai Glossing Cream.  This stuff gets a lot of love from people.  I'm not quite as enthused as everyone else, but I have found its great for when my hair is dry and needs to be both tamed and also re-plumped up.  You only need a little (or your hair gets greasy), but it's a good standby for when I don't have time to wash my hair in the morning (hey, it happens).
  • Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment.  I tried to deny my love for this product for a long time, because it's so overpriced....but the delicious lemon smell and its smoothing, hydrating effects finally wore me down.  Fine, I love you, Fresh Sugar Lips!
  • Philosophy Hope In A Jar.  This is another crowd favorite over at Sephora.  Because of the high cost, I put off tryiing it, but I got a sample from Sephora with my last order and it really has been pretty amazing.  It's super hydrating (stopping just short of being too rich) and my skin feels (and looks) great after only three days of using it.
  • MD Skincare Alpha Beta Peel.  This is the pricey one, and the super duper one.  I went into the Sephora here in South Beach and confessed my lack of a skin care routine, my complete laziness, and my lack of interest in makeup to the woman there.  She showed me this product and said, use it and you won't need makeup.  And she was right.  This two part system couldn't be easier - wipe your face with a Step 1 Pad, let it dry, and then wipe it with a Step 2 Pad.  Voila.  You WILL see effects right away.  The only downsides - its somewhat intense so if you have super sensitive skin, beware.  Also, it's really pricey.  So what I do (and would recommend) is use the system every other day (or every third day) and just wash with a basic cleanser (see below) the rest of the time.
  • I have pretty dark lashes so never really saw the point of mascara, etc.  But I do have to say that having given into the hype, when I use the Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler and then finish off with Dior Show Mascara, those lashes are lookin' pretty sweet.
Your neighborhood drug store:
  • Matrix Biolage.  I think this hair line is great.  In addition to their shampoos and conditioners, I would be lost without their leave in detangler.  I put it in my hair while wet and it not only detangles, but softens.  Great stuff.
  • Blistex Silk&Shine.  This is Blistex's fancy version.  It's got no color and a little shine and is a great cheap alternative/filler to the expensive glosses that are out there.
  • Neutrogena Liquid Face Wash.  This is my stand-by in between MD Peel treatments.  A great basic.
  • Cocoa Butter.  Cocoa butter in every form!  I feel in love with Cocoa Butter while living in Puerto Rico and now depend on it as a moisturizer, fragrance, and mood lifter.  Can't be beat.
  • Pantene Pro-V.  I still think Pantene is a great conditioner and shampoo.  Cheap but reliable.
* India Arie and her never-fail feel-good song "Video."
Painting: "Girl Before A Mirror" by Pablo Picasso

No comments: