2.18.2009

Lust For Life

A stimulus for schools?  Makes sense to me.

Great advice on starting an Etsy business.

The Volokh Conspiracy: Do judges make better Justices?

Proving you don't have to spend a lot of money on supplies to make awesome art...

Left: love this photo!  The green bathing suit, the vintage style, the red lips...

Murder of Muslim-American Woman Sparks Media Frenzy: Tragic story, really interesting article about media coverage...

On that same, heartbreaking note, Domestic Abuse Rises As Economy Falters.


Brazen Careerist: 6 Ways To Create Sexual Tension At Work: I think this is a really dicey article and, while I get her point, a dangerous idea.  I don't have anything against mild flirtation but even that much at work is asking for trouble.  Especially for young women entering the workplace, I think everyone should err on the side of caution and formality.  Many women already (consciously or unconsciously) think that flirtation is the only way to win people over or make good connections.  To encourage this is to not only encourage potential incidents of sexual harassment, but is also to undervalue relationships based on mutual respect.  Also, even if you and your flirtee (?) are in agreement about the appropriateness of your relationship, don't forget others are watching you and basing their judgement of you and your work on your behavior.  To all the young women out there, I'm telling you: it's not worth it.  The thrill of flirtation is not worth the potential loss of respect in the workplace, the loss of a friend when signals are crossed, or the loss of a job opportunity.


Feministing: Las Vegas Cracks Down On Sex Workers...and Publishes Their Photos.  Oh, were you looking for the photos of the men who hired and payed them?  Or their pimps?  Keep looking.

Fat Girls Like Nice Clothes Too!  I like her blog and I laughed (in a "wow, I totally relate" way) to her recent post on nautical themes..."I fall for it every time. As soon as we get to the end of January I seem to think that spring has started and I go all stupid over nautical inspired fashion. I’m not a sailor. I’ve never even been on a boat in my adult life so why is it that at the same time each year I come over all Popeye and want to buy every red white and blue garment I can see?"  I seriously purchase a blue and white striped, boatneck shirt every season, convinced it is the key to my wardrobe...and promptly ditch it in the closet.  Sigh.  When will I learn?

No comments: