3.01.2009

Whole Wide World

I know I'm always saying good things about This American Life but...they are all true!  I just fully listened to and absorbed the episode "Somewhere Out There" and, in addition to reminding me how much I loved The American Tail as a child, I was blown away by Act Two.  Act Two, called "Tom Girls," introduces us to two incredible little girls with a few things in common - among them, they were both born male.  The piece is so well done and moving, and it's a thrill to be reminded how smart and perceptive kids are.  I wish I could stand by those kids and protect them against all the challenges they face.  Their bravery is inspiring.

The rest of the episode is great too, and even has the added bonus of ending with a great song: "Whole Wide World" by Wreckless Eric (the video is not great quality but it's the best I could find...).

No comments: