11.18.2009

The Globe omits hate-speech element in assault reporting

My best friend wrote this letter to the Editor of the Globe - I hope they publish it. Want to join in? Shoot an email to: letter@globe.com

To The Editor:

"Jogger Attacked on Tufts Campus" AND SHE WAS CALLED A "DYKE"

I write in response to today's reporting on the assault against the female jogger at Tufts University. As a SMFA/Tuft's student, I received notice about the assault yesterday. In comparing the Tufts Daily report to yours, there appears to be a very curious and irresponsible omission from your reporting. TUPD reports that the suspect called the woman a "dyke" as he punched her in the face. As a female, a homosexual, a student of Tufts, and a Boston citizen I find this element to be critical in understanding my own safety on and around the Tufts campus and Boston in general. Why on earth would this be omitted from your reporting? I hardly think this information is tangential. It is, in fact, critical.

Thank you,
Lisette Murphy