5.27.2010

My life has changed a ridiculous amount in the last 24 hours. Yesterday, I was driving around the outskirts of Boston with my wonderful boyfriend - today, I am starting the process of planning a move back to the small town in Oregon where I am from. How did so much change? A combination of luck, coincidence, and, I'm hoping, some sort of fate.

Long story short, after a way in the woods and swimming in Walden Pond, I was missing the small town life. I wrote a friend from high school who I knew was practicing immigration law in the Rogue Valley, asking about job prospects. He told me of a local Legal Services opening. I applied. They offered me the job 24 hours later.

It is admittedly one of the craziest decisions I've ever made. My first day of work as an attorney is less than 3 weeks and over 2000 miles away. And yet in some ways, the decision makes sense - I have wanted to move back west, to be closer to my parents, and this is the work I have always wanted to do.

My boyfriend, Adam, is wonderful enough to be embarking on a cross-country road trip with me, and is even considering a permanent move to the best coast. Who knows what adventures are in store for each of us.

In making this huge decision, I asked a lot of people in my life - how do you know what the right decision is? How do you know the difference between fear of change and challenge and legitimate doubt? Hearing everyones answers was amazing, and I hope to do more thinking and writing on the topic of change and trusting your instincts soon.

Till then - I've got a lot of packing and planning to do!

(Image: source)

No comments: