8.20.2010

Covers I'm loving: Bon Iver "A Satisfied Mind," Kelly Clarkson "That I Would Be/Use Somebody," Muse "Feeling Good," The Gaslight Anthem "I Do Not Hook Up," Ted Leo "Since U Been Gone/Maps."


Image: source.



Three movies I've seen recently, all of which I enjoyed, to varying degrees: "The Kids Are All Right" (not perfect, but oddly affecting and often funny), "I Am Love" (flawed, but gorgeous and enthralling), and "Inception" (fun but incredibly overrated). I especially loved the New Yorker's reviews of the last two. I liked "The Kids Are Alright" more than the NY'er did, although I agree with some of their criticism and I love this line from the review: "Paul, a bearded restaurateur, turns out to be randy but unthreatening, warm to the touch but cool about stuff, with a dash of smugness in his easy smile, all of which is a way of saying that he is played by Mark Ruffalo."

4 comments:

Sarah Von Bargen said...

Those immigration photos are absolutely mind blowing/heart breaking. I'm an ESL teacher and most of my students are refugees rather than immigrants but the journey to a new life and a new country is never an easy one.

Shorty said...

Thanks for the comment! I'm a legal aid immigration attorney, so I definitely can relate to your experience as an ESL teacher - thanks for doing that work!
(Also, so funny that we are both named Sarah and both have "Y and Y" named blogs :) )

Lipstick Lobbyist said...

My favorite review of "The Kids are All Right" was A.O. Scott's (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/09/movies/09kids.html).

Re: Ruffalo's character:

"But nothing is more disruptive to domestic order than an unattached heterosexual man."

Miss you, shorty!

Shorty said...

LL, yes that's a great review! I really enjoyed the movie.

Miss you too! Feel so behind on your news (dog? house?)