9.29.2010

Ira Glass on the Simpsons. Gotta love the self-mockery.

Image: source.

Love this: " 'I'm strictly a recreational cyclist,' he says. 'I've never been one of those guys who gets on a bike and sees how fast I can go. I just trudge along at my own leisurely pace. But I've been doing it almost all my life.' Jack Thacker, who will be 97 in October. He cycles about 12 miles every day, and credits his daily bike routine, in part, to his good health." That's right dude, just keep trudging along - that's pretty much all we can do, and also the most heroic thing in the world.

My mom and I just registered to do this Relaxation, Concentration, and Meditation retreat. I've never been to Breitenbush Hot Springs but someone recommended it to my mom and we we both thought the retreat sounded like a good experience. I'm nervous about going for 2 days and 2 nights, being somewhat isolated, free of cell phones and just focusing on the present, but the mere fact I'm nervous about it reminds me why I need to go!

Tara Brach's (free!) podcasts (also available via iTunes) and book, Radical Acceptance, have been really important to me in the last year. Here is a short interview with her that serves as a good introduction to the Buddhist teachings she discusses and her philosophy of "radical acceptance."

No comments: