9.15.2010

It's been a loooong time since Woody Allen came out with a movie I liked. Actually, scratch that: it's been a long time since he came out with a movie I've loved, because that's how it is with his movies and me - I actively dislike most of them, and love 5 of them. But those 5 are in my top 10 movies of all time.

So while I doubt anything will match the perfection of, say, Manhattan or Crimes & Misdemeanors ever again, the interviews he's giving about his new movie sound promising. Dare I hope to LIKE a Woody Allen movie?


Amazing photography of the oil spill in the gulf.

What's on my tv (computer screen, really): looking for a new show, I started watching Nurse Jackie but I can't say that it's pulled me in. I want to like it - Edie Falco seems like a cool lady and I love that the show has a number of "real-looking" cast members. But the acting and writing seem forced to me and I just don't really....care. I'm on the final season of The L Word (via Netflix) and, while I will be sad to see one of my favorite guilty pleasures go, I really cannot wait to have Jenny Shecter out of my life. I have been dreading that character for years and the fact that she's now (spoiler alert if you're like 3 years behind in pop culture like me) sleeping with Shane just increases my ire (jealous much?). Goodbye, weird drama of LA faux-lesbians, you served me well. Other show that everyone seems to love: Mad Men. I have read and seen so much about it, I pretty much don't care anymore. However, I watched a few episodes from season 1 and enjoyed it, so I'm giving it another go. Same with The Wire and True Blood, both of which I have only seen 2 or 3 episodes. Let's see if any of those series grab me on second viewing.

This past weekend I completed a triathlon! It was only a "sprint" distance race, but hard for me nonetheless, and it felt awesome to accomplish. My only goals were to complete it, and to run (well, jog) the entire running portion (i.e. no walking), and, despite some bike complications on mile 2 (fixed by men with trucks and tools - gotta love Oregon), I achieved them both! Next up: a 5K and a 10K, both in October. I really hate running, so I'm open to any suggestions on how to get past that. So far, downloading the Nike+ app to my iPhone (only $3 and it keeps track of distance, time, etc) has helped with the motivation. That and the fact I've already told people I'm going to do the races.

“I took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. I am. I am. I am.” - Sylvia Plath

No comments: