11.29.2010

The Los Angeles Times' article on the lawyering problems serving to clog up California's death row: "The inability of the state to recruit lawyers for post-conviction challenges, or habeas corpus petitions, has caused a major bottleneck in the state's criminal justice system. Nearly half of those condemned to die in California are awaiting appointment of counsel for these challenges. This "critical shortage," as the state high court describes it, has persisted for years, despite lawyer gluts. The average wait for these attorneys is 10 to 12 years."

Image: source.

This photo made me ache to be back in Paris. I'm so lucky to have spent time there, especially alone, especially with no schedule or agenda, especially when young and a little lost.

I read a bunch of my dad's old issues of the Times Literary Supplement and the NY Review of Books on my flights back to Oregon, which was great. I really liked this piece on Emerson, whether he's a philosopher (and, if so, what kind), his writing on grief, etc.

I also caught up on my podcasts, including this great interview with Wilbert Rideau, a long-time prisoner and writer: Doing Time, And Doing Good, In La.'s Angola Prison.

There are those who love to get dirty
and fix things.
They drink coffee at dawn,
beer after work,

And those who stay clean,
just appreciate things,
At breakfast they have milk
and juice at night.

There are those who do both,
they drink tea.

- Gary Snyder

No comments: