11.14.2010

Love love this message-on-a-cookie-cutter idea (not that I'm currently a big cookie maker, but if I was...)


I took part in this! Some results from the "Track Your Happiness" app experiment. Basically, "a wandering mind is an unhappy mind." I did find that the questions targeting "Are you thinking about something other than what you are currently doing?" and "Will your thinking having an effect on that situation?" were the most interesting and definitely caused me to question the benefits of my (over)thinking when they popped up on my phone.

Beautiful short video, Wanderlust, reminding me of the great travels I've had and all the ones to come...

Image: source.

Good post from Jezebel on exercising in order to get stronger, not thinner, and also about how a newfound love of running changed the authors relationship with her body and food. I related to fair amount of what the author wrote. I will readily, if not proudly, admit that it is not so black and white for me. Having worked hard o overcome years of disordered eating and body image, I still cannot separate excercize from the quest to be thin, to look a certain way. Yes, I run because it keeps me sane, it keeps me motivated, it makes me strong and proud. But I also do it so that I can eat the fatty foods I love without gaining weight, I do it so that I feel better about how I look. It's a tricky thing. The only thing I can say is that I have tried to not engage when I find myself turning to excercize as punishment - that is, if I don't feel like working out but feel like I "should" or "need" to, I often make the decision not to head out to the gym or go running. It may seem like a small distinction, but it's a large one in my ongoing quest to honor my body, to cultivate a good relationship with excercize and food, and to become truly happy.

(Update: loved this comment from the comments section of the Jezebel article: "Susie Orbach wrote something about this that really resonated with me--she said that we need to start seeing our bodies as places we live from, rather than things we work on. ")

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd never thought of refraining from exercise in order to avoid associating it with punishment. Interesting idea. Thx.

Shorty said...

Glad you found the post/idea interesting, thanks for reading. Abstaining from excercize when I feel like it's coming from a negative/punishing place is a small act, but I feel like it has helped me break up some patterns a bit, just be not engaging in the patterned way...