11.10.2010

More inspiring coverage of the NY Marathon: Along the Route, a Variety of Music and Messages: "Experiences along the New York City Marathon’s 26.2-mile route were as diverse as the 45,350 official entrants who ran it Sunday."

Image: source.

From WBUR, one of the best professors I had in law school (also one of the toughest): "The struggle for universal civil rights in this country is remembered as a non-violent revolution led by luminaries such as the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks. But many, many activists died for the cause. Margaret Burnham, a law professor at Northeastern University, hopes to make sure that none of those civil rights crusaders are ever forgotten."

I'm surprised and pleased to find that writing about my new attendance at church and ramblings about faith have lead to an increase in comments by people I don't know. I think it's really interesting that people are excited to talk about their relationship to church and spirituality and are so open to reading about mine. Thanks to all the commenters, here and those who have emailed me personally!

“I don’t know if I continue, even today, always liking myself. But what I learned to do many years ago was to forgive myself. It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes—it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, ‘Well, if I’d known better I’d have done better,’ that’s all. So you say to people who you think you may have injured, ‘I’m sorry,’ and then you say to yourself, ‘I’m sorry.’ If we all hold on to the mistake, we can’t see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can’t see what we’re capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end the real forgiveness is in one’s own self.” - Maya Angelou

No comments: