1.13.2011

New Daytrotter session from Iron & Wine (this seems especially perfect if you're snowed in, like so many of my east coast loved ones).

Image: source.

Unsurprising but upsetting: Day Laborers Face Exploitation, Wage Theft. People's willingness to exploit vulnerable individuals really blows my mind.

"January is Poverty in America Awareness Month: How much do you know about the basic facts of poverty in America? Take this quiz to see how up to date you are with Poverty in America."

From The Chronicle of Higher Education, The End of Solitude, on the history, benefits, and dwindling popularity of solitude: "Solitude isn't easy, and isn't for everyone. It has undoubtedly never been the province of more than a few. 'I believe,' Thoreau said, 'that men are generally still a little afraid of the dark.'...But if solitude disappears as a social value and social idea, will even the exceptions remain possible?"

Today's planned workout: 8 mi run. Today's actual workout: once again, I won't know till tonight. Somehow my schedule has been leading me to work out at night instead of in the morning recently....and I don't like it. I need to get my schedule and my sleep patterns under control so I can get back to morning workouts. Or maybe I just need to suck it up until spring comes and I have more hours of sun...

No comments: