2.09.2011

The awesome Alternative Apparel now has accessories - in LOVE with this beautiful bag.

Image: source.

I thought this article ("Confessions From A Christian"), was interesting; while I come from an entirely different family and background than the author, I could relate to some of what she writes about being a progressive Christian. While I'm not comfortable calling myself a Christian, and haven't formally joined my church (although I apparently call it "my church") even discussing my recent church attendance with friends proves challenging. And I find myself thinking that I don't even want to tell Christians I know that I attend church because I'm "not like them," and my church is "not like theirs" (I know, how very un-Christian of me). However, the Ashland UCC remains a place of great power, comfort, and challenge for me, and my exploration of my own theology and faith continues. (Check out one of Reverend Pam's sermons here, the most recent (from Jan 30th) is a wonderful discussion of social justice and faith. "The Rev. Jorge Lara-Braud once said, God knows it is still a serious risk to be merciful, to keep one’s heart pure, and to make peace with one’s enemies. But the much greater risk is to confuse privilege and self-protection with the good life . . . Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth, scripture says. Reina is quick to tell you the meek should organize.")

Right on. 7-year-old donates money to LGBT charity: "Given money to donate by his parents, Malcolm decided to split it between the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation."

"David Biello has a thought-provoking slideshow up on Scientific American today. It features eerily beautiful snapshots of industrial processes and fossil fuel development that are, simultaneously, necessary to our current way of life, and kind of horrible to look at. " via Boing Boing.

Very cool. I wish this had been in place when I was at Bard: Bard College Freshmen Get Crash Course in Science: "In an intensive new program, freshmen at Bard College, a campus with a decidedly arty bent, have had to take a crash course in science."

3 comments:

Caiti said...

I have the same sentiment about church... I actually am the assistant children's pastor at my church, and I love what I do and I very much love God, however, I feel that when I tell others that I am a christian, they will put me in a box...So more times than not, I don't go there...like you said, very unchristian of me...Thank you for sharing

Shorty said...

Caiti, and thank YOU for sharing. It is so clear to me that the only way to change peoples idea of what a religious person or a Christian or a church-goer is is to "come out of the closet" as being one....and yet it remains a challenge!

A said...

Loved the piece about Christianity---I was steeped in church growing up and I want to go back so desperately but I don't want everyone to think I'm an awful person who hates gays and people who've had abortions. I think it's really hard for people to understand *why* I want to go back. Sigh. Such a challenge.