2.22.2011

Dance An Awkward Dance*

Going to my first Community Family Court graduation today (as part of my work with CRB). I've heard they are pretty inspiring, and I'm looking forward to it.

From Immigration Equality: Give A Damn.

Image: source.

Just read this post, on a friend of a friends blog, about her first marathon. Wow. What a beautiful, honest, funny, awesome account of a race. It was just what I needed to get refocused on my own running goals.

About a year ago, I quit caffeine (I drink decaf tea and coffee which I know has minimal amount), and it is one of the best things I've ever done for myself. It's helped my anxiety and depression immeasurably. Over the last 8 months or so, I've also cut out alcohol (for physical and emotional/psychological reasons, although I've never had an issue with addiction), and it has had a similarly amazing effect - less depression and anxiety, and general better health. I don't think I will be totally sober for my entire life (I probably have about one beer a month right now, and I love the taste of a good beer), but I can't argue with the positive affects of sobriety. Anyways, I have a lot more to say about that, but my point in mentioning it was because I am currently wrapping up my second day of quitting sugar. My main goal behind this was to stop the out of control, up and down, roller-coaster feelings I have in relationship with sweets. I have always had a sweet tooth, and can down a pint of ice cream without a second thought. My routine was this: have a sweet or two for breakfast (danishes, donuts, muffins), dessert after lunch, a sweet snack in the afternoon, and dessert after dinner. I've gone for days without a fruit or vegetable. I know, not good. I don't like the out of control feeling of not being able to just have one cookie, or the buzzing and sickness I feel after I gorge on sweets. I have no interest in cutting out sugar for the rest of my life, but my experiments with caffeine and alcohol have shown me the benefits of eliminating things from your diet temporarily - it makes me so much more aware of their effects on my body and mind. Anyways, I'm sure the first few weeks will be difficult, but it's already been great for getting me to try different foods - I've had over 4-5 fruits and veggies both days! I'm pretty proud of myself. Anyways, here are a few blogs I've found helpful during the process, and turn to when the cravings strike (at work in the afternoon is the hardest): 1, 2, 3, 4.

* "There is no unassailable solitude. All roads lead to the same point: to the communication of who we are. And we must travel across lonely and rugged terrain, through isolation and silence, to reach the magic zone where we can dance an awkward dance." - Pablo Neruda

No comments: