3.18.2011

Really beautiful Cherry Blossom paper model set (just look).

Image: source.

One of my most guilty pleasures is shopping at Forever21. I only shop online (their stores are horrible and overwhelming - plus they add new stuff online EVERY DAY), but I always feel guilty about it. They are a shitty international cheap labor machine, and they rip off other designers right and left. They aren't great quality. But they are cheap and their stuff is soft and cute and gosh darn it I love that place. And today they are donating all sales to relief efforts in Japan. Sigh. Oh F21, our complicated relationship rages onward...

Since last weekend's lunch cooking was a bust (undercooked carrots and onions, too little seasoning - blech), I'm looking forward to giving it another go this weekend. I've been poring over cookbooks from the library (who can afford cookbooks, and do you really ever want all the recipes in them anyways? Check out and photocopy, my friends!), but I think I'm gonna try some recipes from favorites I have at home. First up, one of my all time favorites, How It All Vegan - can you believe that the 10 year anniversary copy just came out?? HIAV was the go-to cookbook when I lived at a veggie co-op in college (heck yes I did) and it holds up all these years later. I may also try some stuff from How To Cook Everything, which my dad gave me for Christmas a few years ago - if you only buy a few cookbooks, these two would be at the top of the list in my opinion.

This sounds super cool: "FoodCorps is seeking food, agriculture, community organizing, education, health, and public service interested folks for the inaugural term. Starts on August 15, in Eugene, Portland, Tillamook, Corvallis & Salem. Once stationed, FoodCorps members will build Farm to School supply chains, expand food system and nutrition education, and build and tend school gardens."

“If you don’t have self-esteem, you will hesitate to do anything in your life. You will hesitate to report a rape. You will hesitate to defend yourself when you are discriminated against because of your race, your sexuality, your size, your gender. You will hesitate to vote; you will hesitate to dream. For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution, and our revolution is long overdue.” - Margaret Cho

4 comments:

Karla said...

i am so amazed at how often you blog. mad props to you.
and thanks, i love an updated blog.

Unknown said...

I wish that I could do the food corps thing.

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with F21. It is a vile company... but I just can't quit it! You are not alone.

Shorty said...

Thanks Karla! I always love your comments.

Anastasia, I know, me too....

Word, Anonymous....sigh.