3.21.2011

This weekend I thought a lot about how I feel like I'm becoming less "cool" every day....and loving it. Living in a small town instead of a city really seems to allow me to be my real dorky self. People here don't care about clothing labels; no hip and under-the-radar bands come through so you can't brag about knowing them; there isn't a freakin' charcuterie/tapas joint/themed restaurant on every corner (sometimes a bummer); most everyones jobs don't have to do so much with selling things and engaging with pop culture; and, its just...quieter. It's sort of great. Sometimes it makes me feel awkward - people aren't scared to share their woo-woo feelings or be really genuine - but I am coming to love that openness, that lack of facade.

Yesterday, I had a near perfect Sunday doing the things that I love: running with a friend, going to church (where I'm becoming more comfortable socializing, not just running in and out), stopping by to say hi to my mom and stepdad, cooking healthy meals for the week, going to hot yoga, reading, and singing along to the totally un-ironic and heartfelt music of my teens (Ani, Indigo Girls, Social D, Bad Religion). There is something I miss so much about the 90s - not just the flannel (oh, the flannel!) but something about how un-ironic the music and pop culture was. Bands didn't seem to mind expressing actual care for things (for other people, or for politics - RATM, Nirvana, etc etc), and things just seemed less...produced. I'm sure some of this is the nostalgia everyone has for the music of their youth but....I'm feelin' it and I'm lovin' it. (And also, you've been warned: lot's of 90's music videos coming your way this week)

Image: source.

"And Lot's wife, of course, was told not to look back where all those people and their homes had been. But she did look back, and I love her for that, because it was so human. So she was turned into a pillar of salt. So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut (Slaughterhouse-Five)

No comments: