4.07.2011

Cornel West, The Examined Life....

A friend just told me about this Warrior Dash and I think we're gonna do it! It's just over 3 miles but don't let that fool you - you have to contend with fire, rock, water, and all sorts of semi-secret obstacles! Luckily it's after my marathons and triathlon, so I won't have to worry as much about getting injured.

My semi-embarrassing country fixation continues, with this little ditty: Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not, by Thompson Square. It's sort of the perfect summer romance song. Now, we just need summer (after being 70 here last week, it SNOWED today!)

Image: source.

I've added some sugar back into my diet recently, and I'm really happy to say that taking some time off from sugar entirely seems to have had a lasting impact - I'm able to eat a few cookies and stop there, I don't crave sugar after every meal, and I am able to notice the (not great) feelings I have after I eat sugar (I get almost immediate really hot, bloated, cranky, and sort of agitated). The goal of taking a break from sugar was exactly this - to add more variety to my diet, to become more aware of the effect that sugar has on me, and to break my feeling of addiction to sugar. Those goals seem to have been achieved and I think I will continue some mix of going for days/weeks at a time sugar free, and indulging occasionally otherwise.

"Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life." [Attributed to St. Francis]

No comments: