4.07.2011

From NPR: "The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) says for too long, states have focused on incarceration at the expense of education . . . Between 1987 and 2007, the report shows that higher education spending grew by 21%, compared with a 127% rise in funding for corrections."

Why you should Date A Girl Who Runs (pretty cheesy but whatever)

Training: last night after work I ran for an hour and then swam for 15 min. Today might be a day off - we're swamped at work and I'm seeing two films at the film festival tonight, so it's a good day to not try to wedge in a workout....

Image: source.

Sometimes little bits of Mary Oliver get stuck in my head...always a welcome thing, and always something I try to pay attention to (who knows what the recesses of my mind are trying to remind me of?). Today it was this:

And anyway it’s the same old story –
a few people just trying,
one way or another,
to survive.

Mostly, I want to be kind.
And nobody, of course, is kind,
or mean,
for a simple reason.

And nobody gets out of it, having to
swim through the fires to stay in
this world.

No comments: