8.08.2011

Yum! Sweet Potato + Black Bean Enchiladas

This weekend I finally made a new recipe (instead of just endless variations on quinoa and veggies for lunch...). I started with the Black Bean Sweet Potato recipe from the great Cookie + Kate, but modified it with a few changes that I think worked out for the best. Try it and let me know what you think! (Also: I think I figured that it ends up costing about $1 per enchilada, which is a pretty affordable way to make meals for the week!)

Ingredients:

1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
4 cloves minced garlic
4 cups shredded sweet potatoes
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 jalapeƱo, diced (got to use one from my garden - so cool!)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 jar of salsa verde
10 organic corn tortillas
8 oz block of Monterey Jack cheese

Instructions:

Shred the sweet potato, and then sautee it on the stove in some olive oil - make sure it gets nice and soft (I put the top on for a while, to keep some moisture in and let it steam a bit)

Shred all 8 oz of cheese.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together the first 8 ingredients in one bowl. Also mix in half of the cheese.

Coat the bottom of your baking dish with salsa verde.

Warm up your tortillas (in the oven or microwave) so they don’t break when you roll them. Add some of the filling to each tortilla (dont fill it up too much!),

Once all the tortillas are filled and rolled and in the dish, cover them with the rest of the salsa verde, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

Bake for about twenty-five minutes.

Enjoy!

(image: also from the lovely Cookie + Kate)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try it.