1.03.2012

A great obituary from The Economist: George Whitman: A bibliophile in Paris


Yay! They've officially announced the dates for CASA’S 9th Annual Ride Through Paradise. "CASA's Ride is one of the Northwest's premier cycling events... The event features four courses (13-mile, 30-mile, 62-mile and 100-mile) through beautiful Klamath County, Oregon." This was the first century (100 mi ride) I did last year and I loved it. It was definitely brutally hot (the last time I will ever make the mistake of not wearing sun screen just because it's not hot when I start at 7am....), but it's not a super hilly course, and the support crew was so nice.

New addition to the podcast rotation: Romantic Friendship.

Book updates: Just finished The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø. At the risk of sounding stupid, I will admit that I was often confused by this book, as it jumped between three related stories, with various characters (some of whom use various names...I think?) Overall, not as impressed by Nesbo
as I expect to be, given the rave reviews. Now devouring The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann. It's just the sort of non-fiction book I love (like "Devil In The White City" and, to a lesser extent, "Hellhound on His Trail") - a rollicking story with lots of entertaining quotes from primary and secondary sources on a variety of topics (Victorian mores, the early 20th century, the history of archeology and anthropology), and a modern day tale interwoven with one from the past.

No comments: