1.28.2013

Listening to: Red Hot Chili Peppers "By the Way & Scar Tissue (Live at Slane Castle)." What can I say, I love Anthony Kiedis. (Um, also listening to: "Drunk On You" Luke Bryan. Country love forever.)

Image: source.

Beautiful: You Are Going to Die. (Thanks, Amy, for the link!)

Interesting upcoming two-day conference, for those in the Boston area: "Recognizing, Addressing, and Assessing: GLBT Communities and Domestic Violence"

I'm just back from a really lovely weekend in DC with my girlfriend, seeing her old stomping grounds. I was surprised by how exciting it was to see all the famous memorials and monuments - I didn't know I had that patriotic/history dork part of me, but it was great! One of the spots we hit up was the National Museum of American History, where we saw a great exhibit: Changing America: The Emancipation Proclamation, 1863 and the March on Washington, 1963.

While we were in DC, we also went to Kramer Books, which was such a dreamy bookstore. Basically, everything there seemed to be something from my "to read" list. I picked up Parting the Waters: Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement 1954-63 by Taylor Branch, which is volume 1 of a trilogy I've been wanting to read for a while. It will likely be a multi-year undertaking, but I'm looking forward to it. Of course I have to have a mystery going too - luckily, my girlfriend's mom is a fellow mystery buff, and lent me If I Never See You Again by Niamh O'Connor, the first I've read from this author.

NYMag: Why You Truly Never Leave High School

No comments: