10.01.2013

The NYTimes on the mental cost of dieting. Thanks to (the always awesome) Fit & Feminist for posting it with this on-point quote from Naomi Wolf: "A culture fixated on female thinness is not an obsession about female beauty, but an obsession about female obedience. Dieting is the most potent political sedative in women’s history; a quietly mad population is a tractable one."

Incredible commitment to love and peace in the face of violence: Harlem hate crime victim Prabhjot Singh: I’m feeling gratitude

Image: source. Hey, it's true.

This is one of the books I'm reading right now: Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth. It's a fascinating historical portrait of the time immediately before and surrounding the birth of Jesus. It's aims are primarily historical, not religious (although the author openly discusses his own religious experiences in the Introduction), and it's fascinating to learn more about Roman rule, the history of Judaism, and the birth of Christianity. The reviews have been mixed (see the link above to the NYT Book Review), but I'm enjoying it.

I really liked, and related to, this post about running by someone I went to college with. Despite the fact that the upcoming half marathons continue to be plenty challenging, I'm finding myself itching to train for a marathon next year, not really sure why (except, I guess, what a great experience I had with one in 2010....) Thoughts On Running

A powerful personal essay: When I Couldn't Feed My Family. "I’m here to testify that, for most of us, financial disaster is one or two paychecks away. Even today, if I were to lose my job, I would be in dire circumstances within four weeks. I wish that the Republicans who are waging war on the poor in this country could experience what it is like to find themselves in the position that so many of us face. That we’re all a small financial disaster away from not being able to feed our children. That punishing the poor for lacking money is bullying those who have found themselves weakened in an economy that is taking no prisoners. But I’m also here to testify that there is no shame in being poor."

No comments: