9.29.2008

"If Jesus came back and saw what was being done in his name, he'd never stop throwing up" - Woody Allen

Why do I love this quote? I guess because I have a fondness for both Woody Allen and for Jesus, and neither one makes sense. As far as Woody goes, I'm not a New Yorker, not a Jew, and not a man who enjoys dating women significantly younger than himself. And yet Manhattan is my all time favorite movie and the opening 4 minutes thrills me every single time.

As far as Jesus goes, that link may be even more unclear. I'm not a religious person, not even "spiritual" (whatever the hell that means). My many years in Catholic school mainly served to teach me about hypocrisy, not so much about religion. And, yet, I sort of feel OK with Jesus. I feel like he was a young guy, confused about the way things were, trying to get people to talk about making things different. I sort of feel like he would be OK with me. OK with my life, my decisions, OK with the messiness and confusion. I don't think he gives a shit if I drink or smoke or who I sleep with or vote for. I think he would get that my heart is in the right place most of the time and, for some odd reason, I find that comforting.

No comments: