9.29.2008

Things I Love: Santogold/Okkervil River

Finally gave into peer pressure and, to my surprise, actually like Santogold. My particular favs are "L.E.S. Artistes," "Lights Out" and "Creator." I'm not going to try to describe the music, since I'm terrible at that for some reason. But those three songs are pop-y and unique enough for my liking.

My favorite of album of the year is still Okkervil River's "The Stage Names" (it came out in 2007, actually, but I'm a bit slow on the uptake). A few years ago I heard "Black" from the 2005 album "Black Sheep Boy" and since then have considered it one of the most perfect songs I have ever heard. The lyrics, the singing, the structure...it all enthralls me every time. Finally, I got around to "The Stage Names" and it has been on my rotation ever since. My favorite songs are "Unless It's Kicks," "You Can't Hold The Hand of a Rock Star," and the absolutely incredible "Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe."

Also, I just installed the new iTunes app, "Genius." It lets you chose one song and then bases a mix off of it. It only uses music from your library so doesn't really expand your horizons as much as, say, Pandora, but is sort of cool nonetheless.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here's the iTunes Genius reference! Love it. I'm jamming out to "Thriller" right now. I never jam out to Michael Jackson. Thank you, Genius, for finding this and mixing it in for me. It's a decent Monday.