10.20.2008

Courtroom 302

I just started reading Courtroom 302 and, despite finding it hard to put down, I'm not sure it was a good idea. The book is the "story of one year in Chicago's Cook County Criminal Courthouse, the busiest felony courthouse in the country," and starts out with the newly tagged "criminals" in processing. If the account of this dehumanizing process (before they have been found anywhere near guilty) doesn't make you have some doubts about the way our criminal justice system works, I would be shocked. For my part, however, I don't know what to do with the book. I'm already upset about the criminal justice system, I already work two days a week at a pretty stressful courthouse, and I don't really need a book to remind me. So while I'm glad Courtroom 302 exists, I'm not sure how much of the book I'm going to make it through....

No comments: