11.17.2008

Review: DRINK

As promised, here is our (Shorty and Lipstick Lobbyist's) joint review of Drink, where we ended the work week last Friday. Enjoy!

Setting

LL's impression: It's definitely the newest hot spot in town. The trend-setting crowd was there to be see and be seen. It's in the basement of what looks to be an office building on Congress Street in the Fort Point area. But the vibe wasn't overly cold or sterile like some of bars in Boston. This felt very cozy on a cool autumn night. This could be, of course, because of the packed room. But the lighting, exposed brick walls, and the clean lines of the bar and chairs, made me want to stay.

And in general, the acoustics were pretty decent. I didn't leave with a hoarse voice or my ears ringing. I could enjoy my conversations with my friends without having to shout. (I realize this is a sign of me getting old, but this does, in fact, matter to me.)

Shorty's take: First off, they have an unmarked entrance which totally makes me feel like they are trying too hard. OK, and also I was embarrassed to be one of the crowd of post-work women in suits going "Where IS this place??" Sooo uncool. Anyways, when I finally got inside I was overwhlemed by how packed it was and anticipated hating it already. However, once we worked our way into the crowd, the cozy atmosphere and warm finished-basement (in the best sense of the term) decor won me over. While it was full, it's full of small groups of people chatting, and so avoids the clubby, packed-like-sardines feel I hate of groups roving around. I agree with LL that it was perfect for a chilly autumn night. Adding to the comfortable feel were the waiters who, somehow!, managed to be knowledgeable and hip without being snobby and offish.

Drinks

LL'a impression: The drinks are obviously the main attraction at this place, as the name would suggest. And the bartenders are ready to sing for your supper. No drink or cocktail menu exists, so you have a conversation with the bartender about what you like and don't like and then he carefully mixes your drink. You shouldn't be in a hurry when you order. Each drink is carefully measured (no Cocktail free-pouring here!) and then presented to you in smaller than usual cocktail glasses. The art is in the fresh ingredients (including herb bushes, fresh squeezed juices, and homemade syrups). Even though the servings seemed small, the prices weren't as outrageous as you might expect, for all of the show around the drinks. When we got our bill, I was surprised to see that no drink was over $10.

PS – For the design lovers, our shot-sized water glasses were filled with water from these bottles. I noticed them immediately because we just received one as a wedding gift. Very nice touch.

Shorty's take: I was initially skeptical of the whole premise of Drink. Describe what I want from a drink and my expectations? Please. It's been along week, I just want a beer. However, I managed to act like a grownup and try something new....and I'm super glad I did! Each one of my drinks, alone with those of LL and Co. (which I so rudely demanded to taste), was incredible. Multi-layered and complex, without being complicated and fussy, ordering each new drink was totally exciting. The waiters describe to you what is in each one, and seem to genuinely like their mixology jobs. The sizes were fairly small, and the prices not cheap (although I can't really complain since LL was kind enough to pick up the tab), but I would definitely return for the drinks for a special occasion.

Food

LL's impression: Bottom line: don't go hungry. I'm normally pretty cool with a cocktail and appetizer menu. I love Rialto's bar and cocktail menu. But while the food at Drink was amazingly tasty, it did not fill you up. The "Parmesan potato crisps" (which of course, I assumed would be a basket of fries), were instead three, small potato slices that were each topped with a delicious creamy Parmesan mixture. Also, the "flatbread" was three, thin crackers with some delicious toppings (again, not the pizza I was expecting). Overall, Barbara Lynch does an excellent job of offering a creative bar menu with a modern and elegant twist on bar food classics. After we left, we went across the street for some sliders and wings. I'd recommend starting at Lucky's for some nosh and the first round, and then end at Drink.

Shorty's take: I was totally annoyed by the food here. This could be because I am not hip enough to appreciate fine cuisine but, seriously, the portions were UNREAL. LL's description is right on and we are not exaggerating - the "crisps" were THREE CHIPS, and the "flatbread" was three crackers. Yummy, but as soon as we took the first bite of one we had to order the next! The scallops were three stirrers with one scallop on the end. Uh, what? I know the focus is on the drinks, and the bites I did have were good, but seriously....Boston is a hearty crowd, give us a little something more to chew on. It just starts to feel like you are having one pulled over on you when you get such small portions. Once again, I second LL's call - thank god for Lucky's!

Overall score


LL's impression: For me, the biggest winning point was that I could enjoy talking with friends, have a fairly uninterrupted conversation, with some memorable drinks. I'll be curious how this concept develops once the initial opening buzz wears off.

Shorty's take: Great drinks and concept, warm and unique atmosphere, and I love the development being done in Fort Point. However, the tiny food portions will probably make me less inclined to stay for more than one or two drink in the future.

No comments: