10.22.2009

NUSL featured in Feminist Law Professors...and not in a positive way:

"Undignified Marketing Alert."

Although I generally like and very much appreciate Feminist Law Professors, I think they are off in this instance. As Libby (who is an awesome person and professor) says in the comments section, the female student sitting on the floor could (and in my experience, should) be read as a mark of comfort and lack of formality, not subservience. One of the things that attracted me to NUSL was that exact sense of comfort and a missing air of stuffiness. Further, Jim Rowan (the professor in the photo) is hardly a power hungry misogynist. He is the head of the clinics programs, has been with the school for 40 years (since reopening it in the 60s with its current focus on social justice), and has never struck me as someone eager for students subservience. You missed the mark this time, FLP!

No comments: