12.17.2009

Awesome film by Charles and Ray Eames for Polaroid. (h/t the wonderful Swiss Miss)

I love this basic black dress from Ruche!

Image: source.

Just finished The Elegance of the Hedgehog - I wasn't as thrilled as I had hoped to be. There is something difficult about an author who decides to have two characters that are "geniuses" - it makes it seem, to me at least, like they (the author) is using it as a way to convey their "genius" thoughts, and wore thin for me fairly quickly. The book did pick up about halfway through, but then seemed to end abruptly. That said, there were a number of times i dog-eared a page because of a turn of phrase or observation I liked, so it certainly wasn't a complete disappointment. I hope we have a good conversation about it at our January book club meeting!

For the other book club I've recently joined, we just had a great discussion about Say You're One of Them. We all agreed the book was uneven, but when it was good, it was heartbreaking. Next up for this book club if The Help.

The NYTimes has a great article on artists who quit their full-time jobs to make it as independent sellers on Etsy. Also keep in mind these amazing shops for independent, unique, and handmade gifts for this holiday season (or any other time!): Elsewares and Buy Olympia

No comments: