10.04.2010

The Never-Thought-I'd-Be-A-Runner Runner

So, this weekend I did my first 5K (The 2nd Annual Rotary Run)! (Well, technically I've done two previous 5Ks as part of sprint triathlons, but this was my first on it's own). The long and short of it: I have spent almost 30 years actively hating running. I've had shin splints, was the last runner in during one of my few high school track meets, and also just look ridiculous running. I never understood people who enjoyed it, never understood how it could be considered anything other than torture. Sure, I ran for soccer, but that was for a "purpose," and it still felt like hell.

Well, for the first time in my life, I'm starting to see why people are into running. After three months of intense bootcamp (my Medford YMCA bootcamp ladies are the best!) and swimming, I decided I was in good enough shape to begin a new life as a maybe-runner. I think because I'm in decent shape right now, and eating pretty well (never easy for me), running is feeling slightly less daunting. But mainly I think it's because I have a different mindset. I'm at a point in my life where I really want to challenge myself more than ever, and have a lot of faith in my ability to achieve difficult goals (taking the Bar twice will either destroy you or make you stronger, I guess).

The thing that has had the biggest effect on me, I think, was a comment by a co-worker (who, in addition to being an attorney also happens to be a marathoner and an IronMan - overachiever!). He was talking about running at a somewhat relaxed training pace v. a more intense race pace, and he said something about how racing is about staying in a place of discomfort. This comment really resonated with me on a Buddhist and spiritual level, and caused me to reconsider my relationship with pain and with running. I thought "Huh, I always looked at it as such a negative thing that running was hard for me, but maybe now I need to look at it as a chance to be ok with discomfort and trust that my body will support me." This has made a huge difference for me psychologically! Now I am able to push through more of the pain and discomfort of physical challenge, and see it as something to work with and not against. I don't always enjoy it, but I have learned to fight it less. If only I can learn to embrace this very Buddhist approach with all discomfort and discord in my life!

So as you can tell, I'm hooked. Or at least getting there. This coming weekend will be my first 10K. Since I've never run more than 5K in my life, I'm pretty nervous, to say the least. But I'm also excited about getting the chance to push through that initial discomfort of the first few miles and hopefully, maybe find that pacing and that enjoyable running that people are always talking about.

7 comments:

Shorty said...

Update: I ran 5 miles yesterday, for the first time in my life. And actually ENJOYED it! Using some techniques about warming up a friend gave me, and taking the pace slow, I managed to have the best - and longest - run of my life. Can't wait for the 10K this weekend!

MLFong said...

I really enjoy this post, I read it a while ago and I found it again today. Love it - thank you for a fresh perspective!
Also - I could have been there for the 10k!

Shorty said...

Just looking back at this post. I've since run a 10K and a 9 mile race. It's so important to remember how far I've come, and not get caught up in the parts that are still hard...

Renai said...

Love this. I started running in August, after never having even run a mile in my life. I did my first 5k two months later, my first 10k a month after that, and then my first half marathon another month later! It seems insane to me that I've made it this far. I'm currently re-training for another half (I trained too much too fast for my first), and struggling to get past my 5 mile runs. I need to remember this post!

Natty-o said...

I am so proud of you, runnerrunner!! You're totally right about making peace with discomfort...one way that yoga helped me be a better runner and running helped with my yoga practice. Probably one of the most important and helpful things that you can learn as a runner is how to relax even when you're working *really hard* (and probably in pain). "Relaxed fast" is how my coach used to instruct us! I'm still learning and I've been doing it since 8th grade:) I will totally check my watch at the end of a 5K and think, 2 minutes, I can make it through 2 minutes of ANYTHING, goooo! And you can also make it through 2 minutes, or 2 miles, or 20 miles of ANYTHING. Rockstar.

Shorty said...

Wow, Renai, amazing! It sounds like we are on similar running-goal-tracks, and I will definitely report back about how my half goes this weekend. Let me know if you have any tips on training, etc!

Shorty said...

Thanks Nat! I never thought I would be a runner!