11.07.2010

Currently reading: re-reading, actually, "The Girls Guide To Hunting and Fishing" (Melissa Bank) because I remembered it being a fairly easy, but good, read focusing on relationships. Also re-reading Wallace Stegner's "Angle of Repose" as well as reading for the first time "Marking the Sparrows Fall: Wallace Stegner's American West, "a book of essays by Stegner about the West (obviously, I guess).

Having made it through most of the great mysteries I could find lying around the house, I am now reading a decidedly not great mystery called "One Fell Sloop" about a murder in Maine, involving lots of boat talk I don't understand and really excessive amounts of dialogue explaining the plot. For whatever reason, however, about 10-15 pages of it before I fall asleep is just the right thing.

Image: source.

Now watching: I didn't like the second "Sherlock" on PBS as much as the first episode, but so it goes. I think there is one more to come. I'm on my last disc of Season Two of "Mad Men." I have to say that the character of Don Draper is getting a little old to me, and I'm more and more aware of my reliance on the aesthetics of the show to keep me interested. Nonetheless I'm sure I will continue onto Season Three, but maybe not until taking a break. I still have the last season of "The Shield" to watch, and it's hard to think of a less Mad Men like show than that.... (although I guess they both have "bad boy" protagonists that you end up liking anyways....What percentage of American tv and movies does that describe, I wonder....)

No comments: