12.20.2010

Modern Metropolis lists' their 12 Top Banksy Pieces of the Year.

Image: source.

An idea/discussion that pops up every once in a while, and I always find interesting/persuasive: If Nonprofits Aren't Working Themselves Out of Business, They're Failing.

Wow: Runner Crawls to Finish as Team Wins Title for Ailing Coach.

Recently read and enjoyed Patricia Highsmith's "The Talented Mr. Ripley."

I'm currently reading "The Cunning Man" by Robertson Davies. To be honest, I can't figure out what to make of this book. Certain aspects of it I find enjoyable and comforting (ah yes, a portrait of private school boy life, an old man's memories of boyhood friends etc) and, yet, other parts lead me to skim entire pages (lengthy dialogue/debates about religion that I found less thought-provoking than just boring and self-indulgent). Maybe I'm not intellectual enough (the charge has been leveled at me before), but I just kept getting pulled out of the wonderful writing and character description and story line by the literary and religious references/debate (to be fair, I think that they are supposed to be sort of obnoxiously self-referential/showy, because it is teenaged boys making the statements, but still). I don't know if I'm going to continue the book, or maybe try another Davies (suggestions welcome).

"We begin to find and become ourselves when we notice how we are already found, already truly, entirely, wildly, messily, marvelously who we were born to be." - Anne Lamott

No comments: