1.19.2011

I love a good cover: J.C. Brooks and the Uptown Sound, “I Am Trying to Break Your Heart” (of Wilco)

Image: source.

Interesting (I'm a huge fan of therapy, for the record): Does Insight In Therapy Equal Happiness? Not Always. "It is practically an article of faith among many therapists that self-understanding is a prerequisite for a happy life. Insight, the thinking goes, will free you from your psychological hang-ups and promote well-being. Perhaps, but recent experience makes me wonder whether insight is all it’s cracked up to be." One thought I had in response to this article was, Why did anyone think that insight would equal happiness? It can be miserable to realize what is really going on (in your head, in your heart), to admit to the way you manipulate, respond, self-sabotague etc. Maybe part of the problem is expecting "happiness" as a result of therapy and insight - aren't we trying to get at something more than happiness, like honesty and, eventually, contentment? Anyways, thats my ramble for the day...

Good News For LGBT Hospital Visitation Rights: "Thanks to new regulations going into effect today, any hospital participating in Medicare and Medicaid must allow visitors of patients' choosing, whether or not they're married or related. The upshot is that gay couples cannot be denied visitation rights."

As a lover of both Austen and email, I heart this: “Somebody said of email, 'It’s the place for hope in life.' It reminds me of how in Jane Austen, carriages are always coming, you’re waiting, it could be Mr. Bingley’s invitation to a ball. There’s some sense that the post is always arriving in Jane Austen. There’s something about email that carries the sense that that’s where the good news will come.” - Author of “Alone Together” (which I want to read) on our compulsion to check our email, via

2 comments:

Amy --- Just A Titch said...

That article on therapy was extra-fascinating, as someone who has spent a lot of time in therapy. I think that another thing this article doesn't speak to is the fact that "unearthing" is great, but there are many therapists who aren't able to then take that information and help patients understand what to do with that information. Also, I tend to agree with you that happiness is sort of a lofty goal: to me, the goal of therapy should be to help you deal with circumstances positive or negative in a healthy way, leading to contentment and maturity.

That book sounds amazing. Added it to my GoodReads "to read shelf." Thanks for the heads-up.

Shorty said...

Amy, yes, thanks for the comment. In some ways, I think happiness isn't a lofty enough goal - you know, if you want happiness there are probably easier ways to get it then delving into therapy and self-reflection. I think, personally, my goal with therapy is something beyond "happiness," perhaps a deeper contentment or acceptance. This doesn't always come in the form of pleasure, but seems to be instead linked to satisfaction from making brave choices and from being honest....if that makes sense!

I'll have to add you as a friend on Goodreads, I'm totally addicted to it.