2.20.2011

Book update! Just finished yet another wonderful Poirot mystery, this time "The Clocks." I'm also still meandering (enjoyably) through the Eileen Myles I've been on for a few months. And I've been enjoying a very different book, recommended to me by the minister at my church, "An Ethic for Christians and Other Aliens in a Strange Land"
by William Stringfellow, which, so far, I think is great, and has put into (eloquent) words some issues which have caused me discomfort for years.

Image: source.

Sort of obsessed with these adorable little shoes. I think I need them in every color for summer.

From the New York Times, an interesting interactive map that uses Census data from 1880 to 2000 to show where various immigrant groups have settled. via Sociological Images.

Interesting article from Eyeteeth: A journal of incisive ideas about Dorothea Lange's Japanese internment photos.

“It is in solitude that compassionate solidarity grows. In solitude we realize that nothing is alien to us, that the roots of all conflict, war, injustice, cruelty, hatred, jealousy, and envy are deeply anchored in our own heart. In solitude our heart of stone can be turned into a heart of flesh, a rebellious heart into a contrite heart, and a closed heart into a heart that can open itself to all suffering people in a gesture of solidarity.” - Henri J. M Nouwen, “The Only Necessary Thing: Living a Prayerful Life” (source)

1 comment:

Dani Castlehow said...

Hi Shorty!
Love the link you posted about the shoes. BUT, here's some other ones that look exactly like it! http://www.toms.com/ Have you heard of Toms? Every time you buy a pair of them a pair of shoes gets given to a child in need. What do you think? :)

Dani x