2.13.2011

My love for mysteries is widely known and well documented - especially classics like Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, and the like. However, sometimes I need new suggestions, and there are two places I have started checking: the website of the Portland mysteries-only store Murder By the Book (or follow them on Goodreads) and the Edgar Awards site. I just finished up "Caught," a nominee for the latter, and wasn't blown away. While I was genuinely a bit stumped as to how the mystery would unravel and I will admit there were some unique plot structure bits (you'll see if you read it), it definitely contained some seriously cringeworthy attempts at being hip (iPhones! Facebook!), and didn't seem to me to rise far above your average contemporary thriller. Ah well.

Image: source.

Today's planned workout: 1 hr bike. Today's actual workout: don't know yet. Definitely will get in the 1 hr bike, but I think I'm going to take a day off Bikram and maybe go for a run outside. My 10K yesterday was a little weak and reminded me that I've been slacking on my running in favor of other activities.

“When we accept that true love is rooted in recognition and acceptance, that love combines acknowledgement, care, responsibility, commitment, and knowledge, we understand there can be no love without justice. With that awareness comes the understanding that love has the power to transform us, giving us the strength to oppose domination. To choose feminist politics, then, is a choice to love.” - Feminism is for Everybody, bell hooks

1 comment:

padgp said...

Whenever I feel like I've run out of mysteries, I go back to The Long Kiss Goodnight and In Cold Blood. They never fail to please :)