3.17.2011

The last two days I've run (slowly) for an hour in the morning and then biked on my bike indoor at night. When I bike on my own, however, it's hard for me to really push myself (I basically stare at Bones or CSI on my computer and try to ignore the fact I'm in a garage. Although last night I did hop of my bike during commercial breaks to do burpies, which was a great way to keep my heart rate up and get less bored). I love having a bike stand in the garage (it takes away any excuses!) but tend to get a little lax and the time drags. Today, I finally got myself to the 6am spin class at the Y and it was great - definitely a work out. I hopped on the treadmill and ran for 10 min afterwards, to start getting my legs used to running after biking (and to get used to running in bike shorts - sorta awkward).

As I was leaving the Y I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and the negative thoughts started and then I stopped myself - like, really, dude, you woke up at 5:15am to drag yourself to a new, hard class, and then voluntarily hopped on the treadmill and now you're gonna criticize the body that did all that? I don't think so.

Image: source.

Speaking of things I've been avoiding, I finally went ahead and signed up for Spanish classes at the local community college. My Spanish has gotten better since starting my job but it's still way worse than I want it to be. I kept feeling like a weekly class would be useless, that the only really helpful thing would be full immersion, but last night I bit the bullet and signed up - it's gotta be better than nothing, and will hopefully make any immersion that I do (the soonest possible date is looking like sometime in 2012) even more worthwhile.

2 comments:

marcy harriell | oonaballoona said...

i love that look in the mirror part. i get negative on myself during easier poses in yoga and i'm using your words next time.

Shorty said...

@oonabaloona glad they resonated with you! i'm gonna try to remember them for next time too :) trying to interrupt the cycle of familiar, negative thoughts and patterns is sometimes the best thing we can do...