4.24.2011

From the WSJ: Can Needles Soothe Wounded Warriors? "Military doctors in Afghanistan are using acupuncture to treat brain injuries, with promising results"


I want a standing desk!

"From 344 pounds to a 4:08 marathon."

Image: source.

Training: I tried to go to the gym today but it was closed for Easter. Then, I got dressed for a hike, and it started pouring. Thwarted again! So I decided it was the perfect time to try out the Jillian Michaels DVDs I got recently. Somehow I figured out how to work the TV (seriously, I've never seen such a confusing set up as the one at my current house), and I did the Level 1 workout from 30 Day Shred - and it was great! It's only 20 min long and she alternates between a few minutes of cardio, a few of strength, and a few for abs. It moves quickly, she's motivational, and you can make it more or less challenging based on your fitness level. A good choice for when you just need to fit in a short workout. Tonight I'm heading to Bikram, which never ceases to be a daunting prospect...it's so challenging, physically and mentally.

“I have a duty to speak the truth as I see it and share not just my triumphs, not just the things that felt good, but the pain, the intense, often unmitigated pain. It is important to share how I know survival is survival and not just a walk through the rain.” - Audre Lorde

3 comments:

Steff said...

I LOVE the 30 Day Shred DVD! The first time I did it it kicked my ass. I still haven't gotten to the last session of the video, but I'm workin' on it! haha

Caiti said...

Loved the article on acupuncture. Thanks for sharing. My ambition is to work with vets with PTSD/TBI. I'm currently pursuing an ms degree in speech pathology, and looks like neuropsych next.

Shorty said...

@Steff, yeah, I wasn't sure what to expect (I don't think I've done a work out video since Jane Fonda with my mom in the 80s!) but I was totally impressed - I only did Level 1 and I still felt the burn!

@Caiti, oh, very cool! Good luck! :)