3.02.2012

From Dissent: Growing Up Slowly: Ladyblogs, Womanhood, and Extended Adolescence in the Internet Age

Image: source.

Particularly interesting to me because of the Whole30 - I've definitely noticed the effects of sugar on my mental and emotional health for a long time: Do Carbs Make You Crazy?: Evidence that blood glucose and dietary carbohydrate affect mood.

Oddly taken with this poem: Lift Your Right Arm by Peter Cherches

The Vanishing Mind: Dealing With Dementia Among Aging Criminals: "At a California prison, prisoners doing time for murder are caring for inmates with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementia."

From Flavorwire: Tiny Libraries, DIY Reading Rooms, and Other Micro Book Depots

Recently read and enjoyed in the NY Review of Books: Willard Mitt Romney, and The New World of William Carlos Williams.

Last night a friend and I watched "Beginners," and I cannot reccomend it highly enough. My big warning would be that it is somewhat challenging to face life once realizing that I'll never be Melanie Laurent, that Christopher Plummer isnt my dad/bff/roommate, and that I don't own that dog....Seriously, though, great movie.

Edible rooftop school garden! So many things to love.

Love these self irrigating planters, might have to give them a try (potentially perfect if you don't have a great space for a garden.)



“People sometimes ask me, ‘If things are so bad, why don’t you just kill yourself?’ The answer is that life is really, really good. I am a complex enough being that I can hold in my heart the understanding that we are really, really fucked, and at the same time that life is really, really good. I am full of rage, sorrow, joy, love, hate, despair, happiness, satisfaction, dissatisfaction, and a thousand other feelings. We are really fucked. Life is still really good.” - Derrick Jensen

1 comment:

TC said...

Oh, wow - that is a great quote.