1.06.2013

Amazing stuff in the NYTimes magazine this weekend, including: Can Forgiveness Play a Role in Criminal Justice?, an incredibly powerful portrait of two families suffering trauma and the potential of restorative justice; and this profile of George Saunders. Also, this fascinating portrait: After Years in Solitary, an Austere Life as Uruguay’s President.

By the partner of a friend, in The Believer: But Never A Lovely So Real: "Despite his literary brilliance and humanist resolve, Nelson Algren was the type of loser this country just can't stomach."

Image: Bikini Kill.

Being sick in bed for a few days has given me the opportunity (I'm really looking on the bright side here) to catch up on tv shows I didn't even know I wanted to watch. Namely, my new obsession The Next Iron Chef, and the entire first season of Scandal, both of which are surprisingly (to me) addictive. Good times.

Really interesting: Femme Privilege Does Not Exist

What Queerness Means To Me: "Queerness, to me, is about far more than homosexual attraction. It’s about a willingness to see all other taboos broken down . . . I have also learned that human relationships are deeper, wider, more mysterious, more diverse, more perverse, more intense, more free, less definable and infinitely more beautiful than I was ever taught that they could be. The word queer sums up that hope for me, the hope that there is more than one kind of sex, more than one kind of meaning to romance, and far more than two genders."

No comments: