10.31.2008

She works hard for the money. And it ain't much money.

In Neil H. Buchanan's recent paper (reported in Ms. JD, Daddy Bonus, Mommy Penalty), "Why Do Women Lawyers Earn Less Than Men? Parenthood and Gender in a Survey of Law School Graduates," he found a correlation between parental status and salary.  Unsurprisingly, the correlation was not the same between the sexes: while men who were fathers tended to receive higher salaries than non-fathers (the "daddy bonus"), mothers earned 10-15% less than their childless peers (and therefor 25-35% less than fathers!) (the "mommy penalty").

From Boston: For black voters, elation, dismay.

Maybe this bilingual (and adorable) design blog will help me, finally, learn Spanish....El Beso!

I love this clean, modern, yet sweet set of bird designs (left).  What a great way to start the day!

Another design blog I'm loving: The Style Files.

I appreciated this discussion of women making other female friends - socializing in general seems to take a lot more effort than we all expected.  Some of my friends have a good "going out" crew but not many close friends.  Others are the exact opposite.  Some seem to have, like one of the women in the article, lots of couple friends but no one-on-one options for socializing.  After almost three years in Boston, I am finally starting to feel like I have a community...and now I'm looking at moving to a very different place - Miami.  Different climate, different culture, different....almost everything.  And I've been thinking about how I will go about finding a community of people now that I won't have a built in school life, for instance.  I definitely think it's doable, but I also think it's nice to see people acknowledge it takes a little effort.

One of my favorite pieces from The Onion: Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, Marry Me.

No comments: