9.28.2010

Songs on repeat right now: Brazos "Tell," Onra "High Hopes," Coconut Records "West Coast," The Dream "One In A Million," Sade "Soldier of Love" (the original and the Kastle remix). All accessible via the awesome (and free) hypem.com!

Image: source, (art from pulp paperback covers).

I recently asked my Twitter and Facebook friends what they would do if they had a year of downtime (but no money), during which to learn anything they had always wanted, complete a project they had always put on the backburner, etc - the answers were totally fascinating! I asked for selfish reasons - I currently have a pretty quiet life as a small town legal services attorney, and am trying to make the most of this low key year. So far I've spent quality time with my mom and stepdad (who I live with), renewed my library card and tackled a lot of wonderful books, completed a triathlon and gotten in better shape, gotten my finances under control, am working towards my first 10K, and am in the process of learning how to cook and embroider. Not too shabby! Things my friends said they wanted to do included becoming a yoga instructor, building a canoe, beekeeping, learning to tattoo, writing a book, and mastering languages. I have cool friends.

"Our lives are not as limited as we think they are; the world is a wonderfully weird place; consensual reality is significantly flawed; no institution can be trusted, but love does work; all things are possible; and we all could be happy and fulfilled if we only had the guts to be truly free and the wisdom to shrink our egos and quit taking ourselves so damn seriously."
- Tom Robbins

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've recently been thinking about the challenge of fun and growth with limited resources. I'm working in the Bahamas for 6 months with no car and little pay. So far I'm snorkeling and learning Italian from the people I work with. Stumbled on your blog yesterday, glad I found it!

Shorty said...

Thanks for the comment, Elise! Sounds like you're having a great adventure in the Bahamas and really making the most of it - enjoy!