5.16.2011

Yep yep yep - part of an important discussion about class, "sustainability," shaming, etc: Search for the (Sustainable) Source: Class Shame vs. Eco Chic

Image: source.

Love seeing re-entry issues (as well as incarcerated women) getting some attention: A New Way of Life for Women Leaving Prison


Yet another reminder of how screwed up our current immigration system is: ASU's 2011 Valedictorian is Undocumented

Very cool! A photo my brilliant and wonderful friend Phoebe took in Australia last year, is part of a NASA Astrobiology collection is up on the Nat Geo blog (8th picture in): Places on Earth Aliens Could Thrive?

Cover Me has a great collection of covers done by Ryan Adams (I'm especially a sucker for Helpless).

There have been lots of great articles (and tweets!) on the recent and disgustingly racist article in Psychology Today about Black women and atractiveness: here's what The Rotund has to say, and a bloggers powerful personal response.

“In becoming forcibly and essentially aware of my mortality, and of what I wished and wanted for my life, however short it might be, priorities and omissions became strongly etched in a merciless light, and what I most regretted were my silences. Of what had I ever been afraid? To question or to speak as I believed could have meant pain, or death. But we all hurt in so many different ways, all the time, and pain will either change or end. Death, on the other hand, is the final silence. And that might be coming quickly now, without regard for whether I had ever spoken what needed to be said, or had only betrayed myself into small silences, while I planned someday to speak, or waited for someone else’s words.” - “The Transformation of Silence Into Language and Action,” by Audre Lorde

No comments: